How Long Will it Take to Settle Your Personal Injury Claim?
January 11, 2017
“Wise to resolve. And patient to perform.” – Homer
One of the top questions we hear from our clients at Whiting Law is, “How long will my personal injury case take?” That’s a fair question, but not an easy one to answer. Because no two personal injury claims are alike, it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly how long it will take for your case to move through the system. Although it would be easy to give a feel-good answer (“You’ll receive a check within thirty days!”), that wouldn’t be truthful. And just telling clients what they want to hear simply isn’t the Whiting Way.
Here, we’ll give you the straight scoop on what to expect when filing a personal injury claim, how long your case might take, and how you can help move your claim along faster.
Personal Injury Timelines
Personal injury claims can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to resolve depending on many factors, including:
- The severity and type of your injuries
- Your medical prognosis and treatment plan
- Determination of liability and negligence
- Negotiations with insurance companies and opposing counsel
Remember: In order to achieve the best outcome, your attorney must learn everything about you and your case, and this takes time. “As a general rule, the more complex or severe your injury or the facts surrounding your accident, the longer it can take to settle or bring your claim to trial.
If you find yourself growing frustrated with the process, it can help to remember that some factors are out of your attorney’s control. This can include the responsiveness of insurance adjusters, doctors, and opposing counsel, your prognosis and recovery and the behavior of negligent parties or witnesses.
So, when it comes to answering the question, “How long will it take to settle my personal injury claim?”, we answer our clients honestly: A few months to a few years.
The Whiting Approach to Personal Injury Claims
“If it was up to me, your case would be concluded in a week, but unfortunately that’s not how the system works.” – Paul Whiting
When you file your claim, Whiting Law will thoroughly assess your case, present you with options, and work hard to achieve the best possible outcome as quickly as possible. As your counsel, we will also advise that rushing the process is not in your best interest and can result in a less than optimal result.
Although the waiting game can be difficult, remember that while you wait, your attorneys are strategizing on your behalf to maximize the benefits you receive. That’s time well spent, even if it’s taking longer than you’d hope.
Waiting is also less frustrating when you know exactly what’s going on with your case. When choosing a personal injury attorney, make sure their firm will keep the lines of communication open and update you on important developments in your case.
When you file a personal injury claim, Whiting Law will:
1. Assess the unique factors surrounding your case by investigating: the accident, your medical history, medical treatment, background and any other facts pertinent to your case.
2. Develop recommendations and strategies based on our findings.
3. Keep in contact with you via Whiting’s expertly trained legal staff and state-of-the-art legal organization and communications systems.
4. Walk you through the supporting steps to filing your claim, including gathering proper medical documentation of your injuries.
5. Negotiate with insurance companies, attorneys, and other third parties on your behalf.
6. File a lawsuit on your behalf and take the case to trial if necessary.
Help Your Claim Move Faster
As a client, you can help facilitate the best outcome of your claim by:
- Providing all requested documentation and information to attorneys
- Attending all appointments with your doctors and specialists
- Following your doctor’s treatment recommendations (including medical advice, physical therapy, medications, etc.)
- Attending all meetings set by your legal team, including court dates as requested
While it’s true we can’t tell you exactly how long your personal injury claim will take, we can explain how unique factors relating to your case may affect the length and trajectory of your claim, and show you how having Whiting’s expert team of personal injury attorneys in your corner sets you up for success. Contact us today for a free consultation.